Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What the future holds.

Lately I have found myself at a precipice. Looking out to the great beyond and not knowing where to go next. In the near future decisions will be made that will effect and even determine the path in which I take. Thankfully, the unknown is not for me to discover alone, for I have my love with me. So perhaps it is as if we are both on a precipice, looking into the intimidating expanse before us and wondering where we will go and what we will become. It's equal parts exciting and terrifying for me, because I like to be in control. I like to know what's next. And even though I am beginning to have an idea of what that will be, I also know that I cannot have a knowledge of everything that is to come. I only know that whatever will be is meant to be. And that the person that I love the very most will be there, holding my hand.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost-



{image found here}

3 comments:

Ashley said...

The road you are on will definitely be the best. I am excited for you and your big decisions that you are about to make.

Read the Red Tent by Anita Diamante; it is the story of Dinah, youngest daughter of Jacob (of Jacob and Esau Jacob.) It was excellent. Do not, however, read Water for Elephants-so stupid.

Shannon said...

Isn't this part of life exciting? I'm glad you have your love's hand to hold along the way.
I wrote an essay on this very poem in college. It's one of my favorites.

kenna said...

So, after reading Ashley and Shannon's comments, I realize that I could not possibly say anything more that has been said...

I do, however, love that poem. I too had to write an essay on it in college. Who knew?