Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Has it really been two years?

Two years ago I was in the incredible country of Uganda, with a group from the Reach the Children organization. It was an experience that I will never forget, that has forever changed me. I share with you now what I wrote the day I arrived.

June 23, 2006

I cannot believe it, but, here I am, sitting under a mosquito net, in Kampala, Uganda. I've dreamed about coming here for so long, I'm awed at the fact that I've made it. Our group actually left Thursday morning... and after flight delays, lay-overs, and bad airplane movies, we're here. The man that is our "guide" so-to-speak is James. Ashley and I had the opportunity to ride with him from the airport in Entebbe to Kampala. I like him already. Already, the Ugandan people have been so amazing. I can't wait to dig my heels in and get to work!! Since it's been about 2 days since I've slept, I'd better wrap this up.

So maybe it's not the most insightful entry I've ever written, but to me it reminds me of what it was like to be there, what it was like to see how most of the world lives. Like I said, I am forever changed. For the better, just fyi.












4 comments:

britt said...

Lauren that is so amazing that you got to do that! How great to have those memories! I guess that is what I get for getting married so young hu? (Not that I would trade it for anything mind you!) But how fun!

Kimba said...

I would love to do something like that! Your entry reminds me of when I went to study in Australia, and my first journal entry there. Your pictures are gorgeous, and so are the people.

kenna said...

I don't know if I have the guts to do something like that. I think I have good intentions to, but I'm not so sure I would be brave enough to follow through. This is why we need more peeps like you, who are willing to throw themselves into such amazing causes.

Bravo.

allison wright said...

Lauren, what an awesome experience. I bet you can remember it like it was yesterday. I am sure those individuals still think of you and your good nature.