Thursday, November 15, 2007

Blessings

I find I have the propensity to be quite cynical at times, to look at the dire situations that face us all and feel overwhelmed. It's so easy to become enmeshed in all the problems and to forget all the blessings that it's sobering. So that is why I choose to be positive and list some of my blessings. (And I have just realized that this post unintentionally coincides with the season of Thanksgiving aka the wiping out of an indigenous people... ok, that last part was a joke. Kind of.)


Anyway... take this morning for instance: Greg had to leave earlier than me because he was flying with his dad this morning. So he says he's leaving, and (unbeknownst to me) proceeds to make me a lunch and move my car into the garage, all whilst I am getting ready downstairs. So I wasn't late to work today, because my baby made me lunch. (I think the cheesiness may trump the cynic in me one day, I really do.) He's just a blessing in general.

I was thinking of other blessings, too. Like how we don't have to walk three miles for our water twice a day and carry it on our heads, or how we don't have to worry about car bombs exploding around us, or how we don't have to worry about whether our home will wash away in the rain. A little dramatic, maybe... but true, nonetheless. I've seen it for myself, and we are blessed.

I am blessed to have a knowledge of God and an understanding of why I am here in the first place and an idea of what my purpose is in this life. I have a great family and extended family and I seriously had the best wedding ever. (Sorry to everybody else, but I totes did!) Even walking outside and seeing a beautiful sunset or an evening with lots of stars elicits a sense of gratitude within me because I live in such a beautiful place. So even though this post may come across as trite or cheesy or whatever, I don't really care. Because since I have so many things to be grateful for, it would be really selfish of me not to acknowledge it.
P.S. As you can see, I have interspersed these comments with a few honeymoon photos... because it's my blog and I can.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Yet... We don't have to worry about getting blown up yet. Aye aye! Those sure are some shorty shorts!

Erin & Mike Featherstone said...

Love it! You guys have the best blog.