Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns

moved me. And this, coming from the only person I know who disliked The Kite Runner.

I think Hosseini is a brilliant writer who poignantly (and at times gut-wrenchingly) portrays the sufferings and failings of his beloved homeland, whilst still instilling a sense of reverence and love for it. The interwoven stories of Mariam and Laila are so beautiful, fragile and believable. The failings of absolution that I felt were rampant in The Kite Runner were wonderfully satisfied in A Thousand Splendid Suns. I think it is a must read.



3 comments:

Abby said...

So, pretty much I've been avoiding both these books because I can't take sad stuff. But...if YOU liked it...

lauren said...

and it is sad, really sad. but unlike it's predecessor, i feel like the book as a whole leaves the story on an uplifting note. i appreciated the journey the characters made and thought the ending was satisfying. which i didn't feel was the case with the kite runner.

candace said...

oooh, I read the Kite Runner. Very haunting, but excellent. Thanks for the recommendation!