Wednesday, November 26, 2008

When you have a gratitude attitude

On the eve of the great day of Thanksgiving, I thought it would be fitting and prudent to share some of the things that I am grateful for. So this won't necessarily be the most original post, but it will be one of my most sincere. Lately, there have been a few, shall we say, "difficulties" that have surfaced in my life and in the lives of people that I love. And these events have given me pause and have caused me to evaluate what is most important in my life. Through all of this introspection, I have come to one emphatic conclusion:

I have been blessed...

by husband, who I love more deeply than I ever thought was possible and who is my best friend. He is my favorite person in the entire universe and we have so much fun together. [I obvi could go on and on and on, but you get the idea. :)]


by a phenomenal family with kick butt parents who have always been a source of love and support. And my siblings are the best siblings of all the siblings. This also includes my amazing extended family and in-laws as well. Just fyi.

by my beliefs. For the knowledge I have of the nature of God and of Jesus Christ. For the fact that I know that Jesus is my Savior, that there is a plan for us all, that we have a purpose in this life and in the life to come.

by my friends. Who come from California to attend my wedding... who drive an hour just to have dinner with me... who keep me sane at work... who find me via the blogosphere... who constantly support me and lift me up through various means. I treasure you all.

by the beauty of my surroundings. I live in a beautiful place. And my apartment's not bad either. Especially when husband's in it.
(Because, in case I haven't told you yet, he's pretty good looking.)

by the knowledge I have acquired over the years. Not saying I'm the brightest bulb in the tanning bed, but I love the fact that I have the ability to learn. To expand my knowledge in whichever direction I choose. I had the blessing of attending school and receiving a higher education, which I realize is a gift. Not everyone is afforded this same privilege. I am lucky to be in the circumstance I am in.

by my job. So maybe I don't love it all of the time. Maybe I don't love it most of the time. But the fact that I have a job that pays me well during this difficult economic time is such a blessing.

by the people who surround me. I have decided that I need to exercise more patience. The people that I interact with on a daily basis (in the form of angry callers or verbally abusive transients) have helped me to develop this trait. I have a long way to go I fear, but think I am improving little by little.

I think I will stop there, just so I don't bore you all with a list that could go on indefinitely. I just love this time of year because it affords us all a moment that we can stop and contemplate the blessings and goodness in our lives. It is a time where we have the opportunity to shed the worries that plague us all and feel happiness for the blessings we do have.

Happy Turkey Day everyone. Eat lots of pie. :)

(PS, if anyone can tell me where I got the inspiration for the title of this post, you're my new favorite person.)

7 comments:

Abby said...

I really don't know where you got the title, but it reminds me of something John Bytheway would say.
Anyway, good little posty there. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

A talk by then Elder Monson.

Kimba said...

Ah, I remember that talk! Love Pres. Monson. :)

lauren said...

ah yes, a great talk, but not where i got the inspiration for the title. it goes back to when i was a child.

CHUNTZ said...

Happy Thanksgiving Lauren!

Abby said...

Dude. I feel like a dork that I didn't know that was President Monson.

Can I still keep my temple recommend?

;)

kenna said...

You inspire me and I am thankful that we have the friendship we do. It is one of my most cherished.